Monday 20 February 2012

Rice Cooker Vegetable Biriyani



I love Biriyani...totally totally love it.I specially love the nice Kozhikode Biriyani.(Kerala style).I never tried the Biriyani as I always had the impression that it is tough.But today I had to make a Biriyani and when I discussed with my mom ,she suggested that we try in our rice cooker .So I went ahead and did that.
Well I realized that making Biriyani is not tough!





Cooking time:30 minutes
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients

Basmati rice -2cups
Water-4 1/2 cups
Mixed vegetables(beans,peas,carrots)- 1/2kg
Onions(sliced)-4
Bay leaf-1
Shah jeers-1/2tspn
Mint and coriander leaves(chopped)-2tbsp each
Ghee-5tbsp
Salt to taste

To be ground to paste

Ginger-3cms
Garlic-8flakes
Green chillies-4
Poppy seeds-2 tsp
Fennel- 2tsp
Coriander powder-2tsp
Chilli powder-1/2 tspn
Cloves-4
Cardamom-4
Cinnamon-5cms

Method

Pour water over the cooking plate in the cooker pan.Add the cleaned rice.
Cover and let it soak for 15minutes.
Switch on the cooker to rice cooking.
Add salt and diced vegetables.Cover lid.
Heat ghee in a Kadai.Add shah jeera and bay leaf.
Add sliced onion and fry till brown.Add the ground masala.Fry for 2minutes.
Add mint and coriander leaves.
Remove from fire and add contents to cooker pan.
Stir gently and replace ld.
When the Biriyani is cooked ,the switch will automatically move to keep war position.
Let thebiriyani steam for 10-15minutes.

Biriyani can be garnished with fried nuts raisins and boiled eggs(I dint)

Note:stir the Biriyani half way through cooking,that will distribute the flavors uniformly.

I used national rice cooker.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking time to read the post.Hope it has been useful to you.Do let me know by leaving a comment below.It will take only a few seconds to leave a comment but the happiness and encouragement it will give me will last long!Thank you.
Cheers,
Renu