Tuesday 31 July 2012

Naan Kataayi

The eggless Indian cookies..yes we have also have cookies to our credit.Naan katayi can be made using a mixture of maida,semolina and besan but here I have used only Maida(once I tried with the other 2 and it was a flop so ready for that only later).This I have  made before too and has never failed me.You can also use flavours like elaichi or cinnamon and garnish with nuts.. but I chose to go simple…so the plain simple naan kataayis.
I also have  a  faster way of making it  here.
I have  a lot of catching up to do in the blogosphere… 4-5 days without the internet was  very very boring… in the mean time I prepared a few posts on windows live writer and hence I am ready to post… so, many calls to the customer service and finally  I am “connected”…They were adamant that we try to fix the problem with their instruction over phone.. but that was just not happening… finally after many failed attempts ,they agreed to send  a technician…phew!!!I just realised that life can be boring without internet…no blogging .. no recipe videos.. no FB.. no news… no reading other blogs… no watching movies!!!Anyway now I have it and I am glad… good to be back to the virtual world!!
Naan Katayi







Ingredients:
Maida( all purpose flour) 2 cups
Ghee(clarified butter) 1 cup
Powdered sugar 1 cup
Baking Soda 1tsp


Naan Katayi


Method:
Heat ghee till it melts and add it to the flour.
Mix all other ingredients.
Take all the mixture to one side of the bowl.Press it down using hand so that no gaps in the dough.
Let it rest for 4-5 hours.
Make small rounds and flatten slightly.If it breaks smear a little ghee on you hand and then roll.
Bake in preheated oven at 150 C for 30-40 minutes or till it gets  a few cracks on top.
Naan Kataayis which literally melt in your mouth are ready.Great to have by itself or with tea or milk.
(Please refer notes for important info)


Naan Katayi




Note:
Do NOT add water at any stage.
If you feel there is too much ghee add a little flour and sugar.
I shaped the naan kataayis into sqaures.
I like to brown them on top so I baked them at 150C till they were almost done and then another 2-3 minutes at 180C.Keep checking so that they don’t burn.
The naan kataayis are very soft when taken out  from oven but wil harden a little when cooled to room temperature.
Store in air tight containers.


Naan Katayi




Naan Katayi


Event Participation


 at My cookbook

 Vardhini's Bakefest hosted by The Pumpkin Farm

 at Cooking4allseasons


7 comments :

  1. Nice and innovative clicks Renu.. And I know how the internet connection problem makes us mad :( Glad that you have settled back :)

    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious.....nice clicks.....tempting.....
    http://fitforataste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. beautiful clicks renu.. hmm i get irritated when my internet connection goes off for few mins.. you have got lot of patience in this case :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. erm, I'am drooling!

    your photos are getting better.. keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank u all..@nilu.. tried theh macro mode on my point and shoot .. just realised all that..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nankhatai looks so perfect and lovely...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking time to read the post.Hope it has been useful to you.Do let me know by leaving a comment below.It will take only a few seconds to leave a comment but the happiness and encouragement it will give me will last long!Thank you.
Cheers,
Renu